The counselors of Vazhum Kangal Eye Bank interact with the public to create awareness about the need of Eye Donation.
- Through distributing eye donation pamphlets
- Conducting eye donation awareness seminars in Residential areas and Offices.
- By fixing permanent boards at public places in the city.
- Advertisements in FM Radio & TV.
The counselors of Vazhum Kangal Eye Bank motivate the relations of deceased person (Donor) about the noble gesture of eye donation.
Harvesting the eye
- The eye should be removed within 6 hours of death.
- On receiving information from donor the medical team starts within 10 minutes with necessary equipments.
- The information form to be filled (about Donor) by the blood relation.
- Sample Blood will be collected from Donor for blood screening.
- The privacy to the medical team should be provided to harvest the eye.
- The time taken for the total process is approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
- The harvested eye will be preserved in a sterile container.
Evaluating the eye
This process will be done at base hospital using the Kerato Analyser by the Corneal Surgeon.
Preservation the eye
- Laminar Airflow Hood / Cabinet
- The storage will be maintained in a Special Refrigerator in a specified medium.
- Upto four beneficiaries can be benefitted by one donor.